manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re-sending docs to output connector
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 11:49:12 GMT
I've been thinking about this further.

First, it seems clear to me that both Solr AND ManifoldCF would need
access to the document cache.  If the cache lives under ManifoldCF, I
cannot see a good way towards a Solr integration that works the way
I'd hope it would.  Furthermore, the cache is not needed by many (or
even most) ManifoldCF targets, so adding this as a general feature of
ManifoldCF doesn't make sense to me.

On the other hand, while Solr can certainly use this facility, I can
well imagine other situations where it would be very useful as well.
So I am now leaning towards having a wholly separate "service" which
functions as both a cache and a transaction log.  A ManifoldCF output
connector would communicate with the service, and Solr also would -
or, rather, some automatic Solr-specific "push" process would query
for changes between a specified time range and push those into Solr.
Other such processes would be possible too.  The list of moving parts
would therefore be:

- a configuration file containing details on how to communicate with Solr
- a stand-alone web application which accepts documents and metadata
via HTTP, and can also respond to HTTP transaction log queries and
commands
- a number of command classes (processes) which provide a means of
push the transaction log contents into Solr, using the HTTP API
mentioned above.

I'd be interested in working on the development of such a widget, but
I probably wouldn't have the serious time necessary to do much until
July 1 given current schedule.  Anybody else interested in
collaborating?  Other thoughts?

Karl

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only requirement you may have overlooked is the requirement that
> Solr be able to take advantage of the item cache automatically if it
> happens to be restarted in the middle of an indexing pass.  If you
> think about it, you will realize that this cannot be done externally
> to Solr, unless Solr learns how to "pull" documents from the item
> cache, and keep track somehow of the last item/operation it
> successfully committed.  That's why I proposed putting the whole cache
> under Solr auspices.  Deletions also would need to be enumerated in
> the "cache", so it would not really be a cache but more like a
> transaction log.  But I agree that the right place for such a
> transaction log is effectively between MCF and Solr.
>
> Obviously the cache would also need to be disk based, or once again
> guaranteed delivery would not be possible.  Compression might be
> useful, as would be checkpoints in case the data got large.  This is
> very database-like, so CouchDB might be a reasonable way to do it,
> especially if this code is considered to be part of Solr.  If part of
> ManifoldCF, we should try to see if PostgreSQL would suffice, since it
> will likely be already installed and ready to go.
>
> Karl
>
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>> The "Refetch all ingested documents" works, but with Web crawling the problem is
that it will take almost as long as a new crawl to re-feed.

>> The solutions could be
>> A) Add a stand-alone cache in front of Solr
>> B) Add a caching proxy in front of MCF - will allow speedy re-crawl (but clunky to
administer)
>> C) Extend MCF with an optional item cache. This could allow a "refeed from cache"
button somewhere...

>> The cache in C could be realized externally to MCF, e.g. as a CouchDB cluster. To
enable, you'd add the CouchDB access into to properties.xml.