manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From James Thomas <james.tho...@linguamatics.com.INVALID>
Subject How to deal with MCF server failing to start when connector class not found?
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2019 06:13:03 GMT
Hi,

We've been experimenting with a transformation connector and have
decided not to use it. With its code removed from the jar that we deploy
into MCF I find that my test MCF server will not start because there is
some memory of the connector (MetadataToXMLTransformer) in the database.

The server shows this trace in the console at startup:

---
Successfully unregistered all domains
Successfully unregistered all output connectors
org.apache.manifoldcf.core.interfaces.ManifoldCFException: No connector
class '...MetadataToXMLTransformer' was found.
         at
org.apache.manifoldcf.core.interfaces.ConnectorFactory.getThisConnectorNoCheck(ConnectorFactory.java:120)
         at
org.apache.manifoldcf.core.interfaces.ConnectorFactory.deinstallThis(ConnectorFactory.java:58)
         at
org.apache.manifoldcf.agents.interfaces.TransformationConnectorFactory.deinstall(TransformationConnectorFactory.java:79)
         at
org.apache.manifoldcf.agents.transformationconnmgr.TransformationConnectorManager.unregisterConnector(TransformationConnectorManager.java:210)
         at
org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.system.ManifoldCF.unregisterAllConnectors(ManifoldCF.java:370)
         at
org.apache.manifoldcf.crawler.system.ManifoldCF.reregisterAllConnectors(ManifoldCF.java:157)
         at
org.apache.manifoldcf.jettyrunner.ManifoldCFJettyRunner.main(ManifoldCFJettyRunner.java:239)
----

I tried the following:

* Removing the relevant entry in connectors.xml
* Deleting the instance of the connector that was visible via the MCF
web view
* Removing references to MetadataToXMLTransformer in all of the jobs
visible in the MCF web view
* Downloading JSON of all of my jobs and looking for references to the
connector (there are none)
* Looking in
https://manifoldcf.apache.org/release/release-2.12/en_US/how-to-build-and-deploy.html#file+properties

for useful config

I am guessing that there's some historical data from jobs that were run
using the transformation connector.

In my test environment I can simply delete the database and the problem
goes away, but in production environment this seems like it could
present a problem if we ever want to change a connector class after it's
been used.

What's the recommended way of dealing with this situation?

Cheers,
James

--

James Thomas | Head of Testing | Linguamatics, an IQVIA company
324 Cambridge Science Park, Milton Road, CB4 0WG Cambridge, UK

Linguamatics will process your personal data fairly and lawfully in
accordance with professional standards and the Data Protection Act 2018,
General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (as applicable) and any
other applicable laws relating to the protection of personal data and
the privacy of individuals. Further information is available in our
privacy policy: https://www.linguamatics.com/privacy.
This email has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
The contents of this email and any attachments are very likely to
contain confidential or proprietary information. If you received this
email in error please advise the sender by reply email and immediately
delete the message and any attachments without copying or disclosing the
contents.
Linguamatics Limited is a company incorporated in England and Wales with
registered number: 4248841