manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Piergiorgio Lucidi <piergior...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSOC 2018: MongoDB Output Connector
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2018 10:12:54 GMT
Hi Irindu,

> Hi All,
> I am currently to working on the $subject.  I have some issues that I need
> to clarify.
> First of all, why did we choose Mongo DB as an output target? My first
> thought of the project was that it was about writing a repository connector
> for MongoDB because MongoDB is a database programme. ( I am aware of its
> NoSQL
> architecture and its indexing capabilities ). But it is not a search engine
> per se.

We want to extend the scenario of ManifoldCF and we would like to add
content migration capability.
Imagine to have a tool that helps you not only for the indexing process but
also in migrating contents.

In this way you could migrate contents from a content repository to another
one, for example you could migrate contents from Alfresco to MongoDB.

> Then what are the expected operations other than document addition and
> deletion? (what activities should be supported?)

The excepted operation are the same but related to migrate contents and not
related only to manage the indexing process.

> What capabilities of MongoDB you have already identified that you expect to
> be useful for us. (what capabilities of MongoDB you have identified as
> useful That you've decided to write an Output connector for it.)

Currently we only have a repository connector for GridFS that allow us to
read binaries from MongoDB.
We also want to store contents against a MongoDB instance, in this way we
can migrate contents on MongoDB from any repository with metadata and
binaries.

I think it could be very cool :)

In the enterprise context is very critical to migrate contents / documents
from different kind of repositories and typically it is the first step for
a digital transformation project where a company is trying to orchestrate
different silos in a smart way.

Please let me know if you need more informations.
Thanks.

Cheers,
PJ