manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From "Colreavy, Niall" <Niall.Colre...@fmr.com.INVALID>
Subject Storing Manifold Configuration in Version Control
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 15:43:23 GMT
Hi,

As part of our journey towards continuous delivery we are trying to store everything in version
control (source code, the running environment for source code, configuration etc.). At the
moment I am evaluating ways to store Manifold configuration in version control. This would
allow me to recreate my Manifold instances with ease. As far as I can tell, there are 3 ways
to configure Manifold:

1.       Using the User Interface

2.       Using the REST API (http://manifoldcf.apache.org/release/release-2.2/en_US/programmatic-operation.html)

3.       Using the ExportConfiguration/ImportConfiguration commands

For each of these approaches, one encounters difficulties when trying to store the configuration
in version control:

1.       For the user interface approach, you are manually specifying the configuration so
this cannot be stored in version control.

2.       Using the REST API, arguably you could persist the JSON configuration in version
control but you would then have to implement a script to apply this configuration to a specific
Manifold instance

3.       Using the ImportConfiguration does not seem to work for incremental changes i.e.
if a connector already exists, you cannot reconfigure that connector without deleting the
connector and any associated jobs. This means that we would not be able to make incremental
configuration changes without deleting jobs.

Has anyone had any experience in persisting Manifold configuration in version control or configuring
Manifold from a continuous delivery perspective?

Thanks,

Niall