manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject ManifoldCF proposed board report for May, 2015
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2015 14:47:17 GMT
Here's the proposal, which I intend to modify if/when our current release
goes out the door.

ManifoldCF PMC Chair: Karl Wright (kwright@apache.org)
Date: May 2015

Project description
==============

ManifoldCF is an effort to provide an open source framework for connecting
source content repositories like Microsoft Sharepoint and EMC Documentum, to
target repositories or indexes, such as Apache Solr, OpenSearchServer or
ElasticSearch. ManifoldCF also defines a security model for target
repositories that permits them to enforce source-repository security
policies.

Releases
========

ManifoldCF graduated from the Apache Incubator on May 16, 2012.  Since then,
there have been ten major releases, including a 1.8 and 2.0 release on
December 26, 2014, and two corresponding pairs of point releases on
February 3,
2015 and March 2, 2015.  The next major release is scheduled for April 30,
2015.
A pair of release candidates (1.9 and 2.1) are now up for voting in the
community.

ManifoldCF is still in the position of supporting both a legacy set of
releases
(1.x), and a non-backwards-compatible set of releases (2.x).  We plan to
continue this dual support for a period of roughly one year, that is until
roughly
December 2015.

Committers and PMC membership

Outstanding issues
==================

Release upload to the dist.apache.org svn repository is quite slow, and
takes
well over an hour for a single ManifoldCF release candidate.  We raised this
issue with Infra originally by posting to the Infra list, but did not
manage to
resolve it.  The problem was originally noted in uploads to
people.apache.org.
We were told to migrate to svn for release candidate availability, which we
did,
only to find that it was no faster than uploading to people.apache.org.  I
finally
raised a specific ticket - INFRA-9519 - when it became clear that no
progress
had been made.

Branding
========

We continue to believe we are now compliant with Apache branding guidelines,
with the possible exception of (TM) signs in logos from other Apache
products
that don't have any such marks.  We submitted ManifoldCF to the trademark
registration service and received word that our trademark application is now
pending.
<<<<<<

Comments?
Karl