manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject More Tika dependency problems
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:35:26 GMT
It appears that another of Tika's dependencies is partly LGPL.  From the
Lucene dev list:

Solr's contrib/extraction contains jhighlight-1.0.jar which declares itself
as dual CDDL or LGPL license. However, some of its classes are distributed
only under LGPL, e.g.

com.uwyn.jhighlight.highlighter.
  CppHighlighter.java
  GroovyHighlighter.java
  JavaHighlighter.java
  XmlHighlighter.java

I downloaded the sources from Maven (
http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=com/uwyn/jhighlight/1.0/jhighlight-1.0-sources.jar)
to confirm that, and also found this SVN repo:
http://svn.rifers.org/jhighlight/tags/release-1.0, though the project's
website seems to not exist anymore (https://jhighlight.dev.java.net/).

I didn't find any direct usage of it in our code, so I guess it's probably
needed by a 3rd party dependency, such as Tika. Therefore if we e.g. omit
it, things will compile, but may fail at runtime.
<<<<<<

I've created a ticket, TIKA-1581, to make sure that the Tika team looks at
this. (They also looked at netcdf and removed that dependency, based on
Lucene research).

(1) Does anyone know what jHighlight does?  What content types does it
apply to?
(2) Will we have problems if we just remove it?

Karl