manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Compatibility between 1.x and 2.0, and release plans going forward
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2014 08:20:17 GMT
As you may recall, at the end of the 1.7 release cycle, there was a show of
hands as to whether 2.0 should be the next ManifoldCF release, and whether
that should break backwards compatibility.  There were only positive
comments for that plan, so that is what we adopted.

It's come to my attention that there are some folks in the community that
were unaware of that discussion, or are having some second thoughts.  Just
to be clear on the release policy as it currently stands, here it is:

(1) ManifoldCF 2.x development is currently taking place on trunk.
ManifoldCF 1.x development is taking place on branches/dev_1x.

(2) There is a 2.0 release scheduled for December 31, 2014.  Heretofore, I
had not scheduled a 1.8 release, but we may decide to do that release in
the same time frame as well.

(3) All ManifoldCF 1.x future releases will remain backwards compatible
with all earlier versions of ManifoldCF.  ManifoldCF 1.7, for instance, is
(supposedly) completely backwards compatible with 1.6, 1.5, etc.

(4) ManifoldCF 2.0 is NOT backwards-compatible with 1.x.  Future 2.x
releases, though, will be backwards-compatible with 2.0 etc.

I see no reason why we would stop supporting ManifoldCF 1.x at this time;
indeed, I would expect there to be further releases of the 1.x branch for
maybe even a year or more.  The upgrade strategy I would recommend is as
follows:

(1) New users should go with MCF 2.0 (after it has been released).
(2) Existing users should consider upgrading to MCF 2.0 ONLY if they have a
good reason to do so, such as new functionality that is only present in
2.x.  Eventually, we will stop developing 1.x, but that's quite some time
in the future.

During the MCF 2.0 development cycle, I've been trying to make sure that
the dev_1x branch includes all important changes that don't rely on MCF
2.0-specific constructions.  So the next dev_1x release will be quite rich,
as well as remaining backwards compatible.  If you have specific 2.0
features that you think may _not_ have made it to 1.x, please post about it.

Also, when should we release MCF 1.8?  I think releasing at about the same
time as MCF 2.0 makes the most sense, but will be a lot of release work.
Thoughts?

Karl