manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Alessandro Benedetti <benedetti.ale...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Not index blank fields in Solr connector
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 16:35:23 GMT
I will copy here my consideration :

"So you have 2 scenarios for a field : you have content or you don't.

Introducing empty field you can have strange behaviours solr sides because
from the human point of view there is no difference between an empty or a
null field, but for solr yes, and the proper way to model a field that
doesn't have content is to not add the field at all to the document.

Introducing empty field can lead to inconsistent behaviour mainly sorting
side, or when you want to retrieve documents that have value for that field
( in this case indexing empty fields you are introducing false positive for
that search)"

Curious to see others opinions and discuss !

Cheers

--

Benedetti Alessandro

"Tyger, tyger burning bright