manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject ManifoldCF 2.0 plans
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2014 16:19:40 GMT
Hi all,

By now it is becoming clear that ManifoldCF has accumulated a lot of
backwards-compatibility dead weight we have to carry around from release to
release.  However, ManifoldCF 2.0 will present an opportunity to break
backwards compatibility with the 1.x releases.  Originally, I was thinking
that MCF 2.0 would be the proper release vehicle for an implementation on
top of a non-SQL data store, but now I am looking at this instead as a
great way to clean out deprecated tabs, methods, and even whole connectors
from the codebase.

I'd like to consider making the MCF 2.0 release be the next one after 1.7.
Since 1.7 is scheduled for end of August, 2.0 would come out some months
after that.  Please comment on whether you agree with this basic plan, or
you have other priorities we should know about. ;-)

FWIW, if this *is* a good idea to you, please also list one or two main
areas we should work on for 2.0 that involve breaking backwards
compatibility.

Thanks,
Karl