manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposed March incubator report
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:52:45 GMT
Hi,

Looks good to me too! Signed off.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have an outstanding request to Apache Legal to determine whether we
> can distribute PDF files containing Japanese characters rendered with the IPA
> family of fonts.  It would be great to know the answer prior to the release of
> ManifoldCF 0.5-incubating.  A ticket is open (LEGAL-123) but no activity
> has taken place on it.

See LEGAL-36 [1] for an example of how you can drive the process of
getting a license approved.

In this case I'd recommend explaining how the IPA license fits the
existing license guidelines [2] and refer to other sources like [3]
and [4] where the license has already been reviewed. Since the license
has a copyleft nature, it would be good to highlight that the fonts
are clearly meant only to be used, not modified.

For borderline cases like this, the legal team generally prefers to
avoid making too broad statements about allowed use. So suggesting a
narrow definition that only covers using such fonts in generated
documentation is probably easiest to get approved.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-36
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#criteria
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing/IPAFontLicense
[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2009/05/msg00075.html