manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Logging Hierarchy
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 23:58:01 GMT
(1) Logging.  The way the logging works is that there are ManifoldCF
system loggers, and everything else.  System loggers are the ones that
you talk about in the properties.xml file.  The logging level (and
ONLY the logging level) is overridden for the system loggers by means
of the properties.xml file.  Everything else is under control of
logging.ini.  So logging.ini sets the default logging level for the
system loggers too.

This breakdown is historical, in part, and may be replaced some day by
having everything done through logging.ini.  Or not, because most of
the time ManifoldCF developers simply need to work with properties.xml
and forget about logging.ini.

(2) The default value for all system loggers is WARN.

(3) To set the logging level for connectors to INFO, and leave
everything else at WARN, just leave logging.ini alone and change the
properties.xml property org.apache.manifoldcf.connectors to have the
value "INFO".

(4) I don't know why your log statement doesn't work, but there's
nothing unusual about how the logger is set up, other than that it
occurs during ManifoldCF.initializeSystem(), which is called very
early on.  So this must be a log4j issue. Try
Logging.connectors.info("...") and see if that works.

Karl