manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:28:27 GMT
I added the RAT stuff

ant rat-sources

It can be refined a bit to exclude some things, but running it shows a whole lot of stuff
that doesn't have headers.

Also, I noticed we have a whole lot of files that refer to Metacarta still.  I think those
need to be changed.

-Grant

On Dec 2, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Karl Wright wrote:

> Great!
> Karl
>
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>> I can hook up the RAT stuff.
>>
>> On Dec 2, 2010, at 10:02 PM, Karl Wright wrote:
>>
>>> OK, so I will do the appropriate things to make (1), (4), and maybe
>>> (5) happen.  Does anyone want to help with (2), (3), and (8)?
>>> Karl

marking it as 0.1.  Once the release is out, you add a new section at the top for trunk again.

for now let's just assume trunk is under code freeze and the only changes that can be made
are those related to release.

when we unzip it's all in one folder.
of the LICENSE.txt file (See Solr's for instance)
to ship both PDF and HTML for the docs.  Anything else we can trim?
source files have appropriate license headers

but I can get to /x1/home/kwright

and then place the files there, everyone can download them and check them out at http://people.apache.org/~kwright/

17:57 manifoldcf-0.1.tar.gz.md5
17:57 manifoldcf-0.1.zip.md5
17:55 manifoldcf-0.1.zip
17:06 manifoldcf-0.1.tar.gz

<daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
someone needs to feed the
because the upload speed to
take 3 hours to get the
doesn't bounce in the

wrote:

> [...]
in a KEYS file.  Apache
decent, so I didn't have to make

the release files to a
some doc for that too.

release which the rest of us can download.  Put it up on people.apache.org/~YOURUSERNAME/...
and then send a note to the list saying where to locate it.  Rather than call a vote right
away, just ask us to check it out and try it as there will likely be issues for the first
release.  Once we all feel we have a decent candidate, we can call a vote, which should be
a formality.

more info.

 I removed the modules level from the
useful purpose and complicated matters.
allows you build code, docs, and run
and gives you help as a default.
.zip and tar.gz files.  Online
it now contains complete javadoc, as
.zip and tar.gz's.  In short,  we *could*
only we had (and incorporated) the KEYS
I do not know how to build or obtain.
generated and registered.  The site
location/list of mirrors before it

and made the port of documentation to the
include the generated site in the release
release:

in outer-level build.xml, which I will try
and naming thereof.  In short,
so people can download them??
release.  I've seen this done as a vote in
that actually necessary?
 Do we want both?  What is the correct
CHANGES.txt, LICENSE.txt, etc.  Do these need
tar.gz, or just the source tar.gz?  I
confirm.  Also, if there is a typical
tar.gz in relation to the source tar.gz
to make that known.

taken all the pages that I originally put in
how to set up and run ManifoldCF, and converted
part of the ManifoldCF site.  These documents
other than stuff Grant or I added, according to
that is safe to do.  I've left the wiki pages
we'll want them to go away at some point.  Not
do with all the user comments to them, however.

way to proceed?  We should avoid using the wiki
seems to me, but otherwise I can see

at 1:23 PM, Jack Krupansky wrote:

> [...]
to imply that the wiki needs to be physically included in the release zip/tar, just that snapshotting
and versioning of the wiki should be done, if feasible, so that a user who is on an older
release can still see the doc for that release. I am just thinking ahead for future releases.
So, 0.1 does not need this right now.

that we can't include user generated content in a release unless we have explicitly asked
for permission on it in the form of patches and then committed by a committer.  Since we don't
lock down our wiki, we can't do it.

Message----- From: Grant Ingersoll
November 15, 2010 10:23 AM
Release?

at 1:22 AM, Jack Krupansky wrote:

> [...]
doc is also part of the release. Does this stuff get a version/release as well? Presumably
we want doc for currently supported releases, and the doc can vary between releases. Can we
easily snapshot the wiki?

Wiki in a release, as their is no way to track whether the person has permission to donate
it..

nightly builds in place? I think a 0.1 can get released without a nightly build, but it would
be nice to say that we also have a "rolling trunk release" which is just the latest build
off trunk and the latest wiki/doc as well. So, some people may want the official 0.1, but
others may want to run straight from trunk/nightly build.

Message----- From: Karl Wright
November 09, 2010 1:56 PM
Re: Release?

 Release to consist of two things: tar and zip of a complete
and tar and zip of the modules/dist area after the build.
way people are to work with this is:

just the distribution, untar or unzip the distribution
a work area, and either use the multiprocess version, or
example.
a connector, untar or unzip the source zip/tar into a work
integrate your connector into the build.

for a 0.1 release?

9, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Jack Krupansky
wrote:
> [...]
wasn't intending to disparage the RSS or other connectors, just giving
priority list of "must haves." By all means, the "well-supported"
list should be whatever list you want to feel is appropriate and
only those where "we" feel that "we" would not be able to provide
support and assistance online.

great that qBase is offering access.

I was just thinking that maybe we should try to keep logs of each
type in action so that people have a reference to consult when
their own connector-related problems. In other words, what a
connection session is supposed to look like. So, have a test and
log.

Krupansky

Message----- From: Karl Wright
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 9:46 AM
Re: Release?

can claim "well supported" for the web connector, you certainly
be able to claim it for the RSS connector.  You could also
include the JDBC connector because it does not require a
system to test.

your definition is that tests exist for all the "well
ones, somebody has some work to do.  I'd like to see a plan
we get from where we are now to a more comprehensive set of
 I've gotten qBase to agree to let me have access to their Q/A
(which used to be MetaCarta's), but that's only going
helpful for diagnosing problems and doing development, not for
tests that anyone can run.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Jack Krupansky
wrote:

> [...]
one of the issues on the list should be to define the "well-supported"
for 0.5 (or whatever) as opposed to the "code is there and
to work, you are on your own for testing/support" connectors.
"we" should get most/all connectors into the well-supported
I wouldn't use that as the bar for even 1.0.

personal minimum "well-supported" connector list for a 0.5 would be
web, and SharePoint*.

Oh... there is the issue of SharePoint 2010 or whatever the latest is,
MCF support should be good enough for a 0.5 release, I think.

to keep up with Google Connectors!)

Jack Krupansky

Message----- From: Karl Wright
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 9:28 AM
connectors-dev@incubator.apache.org
Re: Release?

in favor of a release.  I'm not sure, though, what the release
ought to be.  I think the minimum is that we need to build
release infrastructure and plan, set up a release process, and
what the release packaging should look like (zip's, tar's,
deliverables) and where the javadoc will be published online.
possible that we may, for instance, decide to change the way
ant build scripts work to make it easier for people to build the
connectors after the fact, for instance.  Or we could
that the release is just the sources, either way.)

that, we need to figure out what tickets we still want done
the release occurs.  I'd argue for more testing, and I'm also
to figure out issues pertaining to Documentum and FileNet,
these connectors require sidecar processes that are not well
in the example.  We could go substantially beyond that, but
agree with Jack that 0.1 would be useful if we only get that far.

Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Jack Krupansky

At least get a release 0.1 dry-run with code as-is out ASAP to flush out

release process issues. This would help to send out a message to the rest

of

the world that MCF is an available product rather than purely

development/incubation.

Then come up with a list of issues that people strongly feel need to be

resolved before a true, squeaky-clean 1.0 release. Maybe that is the

original list of tasks, including better testing, but some

review/decisions

are probably needed. That will be the ultimate target.

Then decide on a "close enough" subset of issues that would constitute

what

people consider a "solid beta" and target that as a release 0.5 and focus

on

that as the near-term target (after getting 0.1 out ASAP.) I personally

do

not have any major issues on the top of my head that I would hold out as

"blockers" for a 0.5.

Or, get 0.1 out and then move on to a 0.2, etc. on a monthly/bi-monthly

basis as progress is made.

In short, get MCF as-is 0.1 out ASAP, have a very short list for MCF 0.5

get it out reasonably soon, and then revisit what 1.0 really means versus

0.6, etc.