manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 01:49:03 GMT
ok - I might move it there
Karl

there, everyone can download them and check them out at http://people.apache.org/~kwright/

> -Grant
>
> On Nov 23, 2010, at 1:00 PM, Karl Wright wrote:
>
>> While I was looking for a solution, an upload attempt succeeded!
>>
>> So there is now an RC0 out on people.apache.org/~kwright:
>>
>> [kwright@minotaur:~]$ ls -lt manifoldcf-0.1.*
>> -rw-r--r--  1 kwright  kwright         63 Nov 23 17:57 manifoldcf-0.1.tar.gz.md5
>> -rw-r--r--  1 kwright  kwright         60 Nov 23 17:57 manifoldcf-0.1.zip.md5
>> -rw-r--r--  1 kwright  kwright  158734230 Nov 23 17:55 manifoldcf-0.1.zip
>> -rw-r--r--  1 kwright  kwright  156742315 Nov 23 17:06 manifoldcf-0.1.tar.gz
>> [kwright@minotaur:~]$
>>
>> Please let me know what you think.
>> Karl
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The upload has failed repeatedly for me, so I'll clearly have to find
>>> another way.
>>> Karl

us can download.  Put it up on people.apache.org/~YOURUSERNAME/... and then send a note to
the list saying where to locate it.  Rather than call a vote right away, just ask us to check
it out and try it as there will likely be issues for the first release.  Once we all feel
we have a decent candidate, we can call a vote, which should be a formality.

 Online
the KEYS

I will try
 Do these need

I can see

be physically included in the release zip/tar, just that snapshotting and versioning of the
wiki should be done, if feasible, so that a user who is on an older release can still see
the doc for that release. I am just thinking ahead for future releases. So, 0.1 does not need
this right now.

generated content in a release unless we have explicitly asked for permission on it in the
form of patches and then committed by a committer.  Since we don't lock down our wiki, we
can't do it.

Does this stuff get a version/release as well? Presumably we want doc for currently supported
releases, and the doc can vary between releases. Can we easily snapshot the wiki?

no way to track whether the person has permission to donate it..

a 0.1 can get released without a nightly build, but it would be nice to say that we also have
a "rolling trunk release" which is just the latest build off trunk and the latest wiki/doc
as well. So, some people may want the official 0.1, but others may want to run straight from
trunk/nightly build.

tar and zip of a complete
is:

unzip the distribution
the multiprocess version, or
source zip/tar into a work
build.

wrote:
> [...]
RSS or other connectors, just giving
By all means, the "well-supported"
you want to feel is appropriate and
"we" would not be able to provide

should try to keep logs of each
have a reference to consult when
problems. In other words, what a
to look like. So, have a test and

Wright
AM

the web connector, you certainly
connector.  You could also
because it does not require a

exist for all the "well
to do.  I'd like to see a plan
a more comprehensive set of
let me have access to their Q/A
and doing development, not for

wrote:

> [...]
should be to define the "well-supported"
as opposed to the "code is there and
own for testing/support" connectors.
into the well-supported
for even 1.0.

connector list for a 0.5 would be

2010 or whatever the latest is,
enough for a 0.5 release, I think.

Karl Wright
9:28 AM

not sure, though, what the release
the minimum is that we need to build
set up a release process, and
should look like (zip's, tar's,
the javadoc will be published online.
decide to change the way
it easier for people to build the
fact, for instance.  Or we could
sources, either way.)

what tickets we still want done
argue for more testing, and I'm also
to Documentum and FileNet,
sidecar processes that are not well
go substantially beyond that, but
be useful if we only get that far.

wrote:

> [...]
with code as-is out ASAP to flush out
would help to send out a message to the rest
product rather than purely

that people strongly feel need to be
1.0 release. Maybe that is the
better testing, but some
be the ultimate target.

subset of issues that would constitute
and target that as a release 0.5 and focus
(after getting 0.1 out ASAP.) I personally
the top of my head that I would hold out as

on to a 0.2, etc. on a monthly/bi-monthly

ASAP, have a very short list for MCF 0.5
then revisit what 1.0 really means versus

Grant Ingersoll
8:38 AM

out and the Memex stuff behind us, how do
a release?