manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release?
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2010 16:42:09 GMT
I'm done with (1), (4), and (5).  Still waiting for help with (2) and
(3)... going once....

Karl

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, so I will do the appropriate things to make (1), (4), and maybe
> (5) happen.  Does anyone want to help with (2), (3), and (8)?
> Karl
>
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 2, 2010, at 9:54 PM, Karl Wright wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Grant,
>>>
>>> In offline conversation you clarified that for (1) you are looking for
>>> the top level dir in the zip/tar to be named "apache-manifoldcf-0.1".
>>> You also seem to be asking for a number of other fixes that are
>>> specific to a release, that I presume would NOT be in sources on trunk
>>> (e.g. CHANGES.txt).  Are you envisioning that we make these specific
>>> changes in the release branch only?
>>
>> It's perfectly fine for CHANGES.txt to be on trunk.  You make the change marking
it as 0.1.  Once the release is out, you add a new section at the top for trunk again.

>> Later, as we mature, we will likely have branches, etc. for this stuff, but for now
let's just assume trunk is under code freeze and the only changes that can be made are those
related to release.

>>> Karl

we unzip it's all in one folder.
LICENSE.txt file (See Solr's for instance)
ship both PDF and HTML for the docs.  Anything else we can trim?
files have appropriate license headers

then place the files there, everyone can download them and check them out at http://people.apache.org/~kwright/

<gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
a KEYS file.  Apache
so I didn't have to make

release files to a
doc for that too.

which the rest of us can download.  Put it up on people.apache.org/~YOURUSERNAME/... and
then send a note to the list saying where to locate it.  Rather than call a vote right away,
just ask us to check it out and try it as there will likely be issues for the first release.
 Once we all feel we have a decent candidate, we can call a vote, which should be a formality.

info.

<daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
the modules level from the
purpose and complicated matters.
you build code, docs, and run
gives you help as a default.
.zip and tar.gz files.  Online
contains complete javadoc, as
tar.gz's.  In short,  we *could*
had (and incorporated) the KEYS
not know how to build or obtain.
and registered.  The site

the port of documentation to the
the generated site in the release

build.xml, which I will try
and naming thereof.  In short,
can download them??
 I've seen this done as a vote in
necessary?
we want both?  What is the correct
LICENSE.txt, etc.  Do these need
or just the source tar.gz?  I
 Also, if there is a typical
in relation to the source tar.gz
that known.

all the pages that I originally put in
up and run ManifoldCF, and converted
the ManifoldCF site.  These documents
stuff Grant or I added, according to
safe to do.  I've left the wiki pages
want them to go away at some point.  Not
all the user comments to them, however.

 We should avoid using the wiki
seems to me, but otherwise I can see

PM, Jack Krupansky wrote:

> [...]
that the wiki needs to be physically included in the release zip/tar, just that snapshotting
and versioning of the wiki should be done, if feasible, so that a user who is on an older
release can still see the doc for that release. I am just thinking ahead for future releases.
So, 0.1 does not need this right now.

we can't include user generated content in a release unless we have explicitly asked for permission
on it in the form of patches and then committed by a committer.  Since we don't lock down
our wiki, we can't do it.