manifoldcf-dev mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release?
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 02:54:25 GMT
Hi Grant,

In offline conversation you clarified that for (1) you are looking for
the top level dir in the zip/tar to be named "apache-manifoldcf-0.1".
You also seem to be asking for a number of other fixes that are
specific to a release, that I presume would NOT be in sources on trunk
(e.g. CHANGES.txt).  Are you envisioning that we make these specific
changes in the release branch only?

Karl

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> We're close, but I think we've got a few more things to do.  I did get it to compile.
>
> Notes:
>
> 1. We should package the stuff all under apache-manifold-0.1 so that when we unzip it's
all in one folder.
> 2. Many of the libs require an entry in the NOTICE.txt file
> 3.  All licenses for those libs need to be appended on to the end of the LICENSE.txt
file (See Solr's for instance)
> 4. The CHANGES.txt file should reflect that it is a release and not trunk (not critical
to fix)
> 5. Is there anyway to make the package smaller?  Maybe we don't need to ship both PDF
and HTML for the docs.  Anything else we can trim?

the files there, everyone can download them and check them out at http://people.apache.org/~kwright/

 Apache

the rest of us can download.  Put it up on people.apache.org/~YOURUSERNAME/... and then send
a note to the list saying where to locate it.  Rather than call a vote right away, just ask
us to check it out and try it as there will likely be issues for the first release.  Once
we all feel we have a decent candidate, we can call a vote, which should be a formality.

code, docs, and run
help as a default.
the KEYS
 The site

of documentation to the

thereof.  In short,
this done as a vote in
 What is the correct
the source tar.gz?  I
there is a typical
to the source tar.gz

<daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
that I originally put in
ManifoldCF, and converted
site.  These documents
or I added, according to
 I've left the wiki pages
go away at some point.  Not
comments to them, however.

should avoid using the wiki
me, but otherwise I can see

wrote:

> [...]
needs to be physically included in the release zip/tar, just that snapshotting and versioning
of the wiki should be done, if feasible, so that a user who is on an older release can still
see the doc for that release. I am just thinking ahead for future releases. So, 0.1 does not
need this right now.

user generated content in a release unless we have explicitly asked for permission on it in
the form of patches and then committed by a committer.  Since we don't lock down our wiki,
we can't do it.

Grant Ingersoll
AM

Krupansky wrote:

> [...]
of the release. Does this stuff get a version/release as well? Presumably we want doc for
currently supported releases, and the doc can vary between releases. Can we easily snapshot
the wiki?

as their is no way to track whether the person has permission to donate it..

place? I think a 0.1 can get released without a nightly build, but it would be nice to say
that we also have a "rolling trunk release" which is just the latest build off trunk and the
latest wiki/doc as well. So, some people may want the official 0.1, but others may want to
run straight from trunk/nightly build.

Karl Wright
1:56 PM

of two things: tar and zip of a complete
of the modules/dist area after the build.
work with this is:

untar or unzip the distribution
either use the multiprocess version, or
unzip the source zip/tar into a work
into the build.

release?

AM, Jack Krupansky
wrote:
> [...]
disparage the RSS or other connectors, just giving
haves." By all means, the "well-supported"
whatever list you want to feel is appropriate and
"we" feel that "we" would not be able to provide
online.

offering access.

that maybe we should try to keep logs of each
so that people have a reference to consult when
problems. In other words, what a
is supposed to look like. So, have a test and