mahout-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: Reg:-Integrating Mahout with Solr
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2017 18:16:21 GMT
You want to create “Behavioral Search”? This is where you boost items that have the search
terms in them more likely to be favored by the individual user?

You want to use the CCO algorithm in Mahout. You need to collect behavioral information like
conversions, detailed page views, etc. Run each event through CCO and you get a collection
of “indicators” as item attributes. Augment the Solr index with fields (indicators) attached
to item documents. Then at query time supply the search terms as a “must match” and use
user history as the query segment against the corresponding indicator fields as a “should
match” with some boosting factor.

CCO is here: http://mahout.apache.org/users/algorithms/intro-cooccurrence-spark.html <http://mahout.apache.org/users/algorithms/intro-cooccurrence-spark.html>
and a post on Personalizing Search here: http://www.actionml.com/blog/personalized_search
<http://www.actionml.com/blog/personalized_search>

BTW Do you have a recommender running? If not that is likely to generate almost an order of
magnitude better results than Behavioral Search. From Industry wisdom and experience, implement
a recommender first, then augment search. On E-Commerce data we have reported results of 10-30%
conversion lift from recommendations and ~3% for Behavioral Search. 3% is significant but
requires you to gather the same info that it takes to do a recommender so why not do a recommender
first.

There is an almost turnkey recommender that uses CCO here: http://actionml.com/ur It uses
Elasticsearch but is standalone, not integrated into any search tech you use elsewhere.