mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is Mahout obsolete now?
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:42:46 GMT
No, this is pretty wrong. Spark is not, in general, a real-time
anything. Spark Streaming is a near-real-time streaming framework, but
it is not something you can build models with. Spark MLlib / ML are
offline / batch. Not sure what you mean by Hadoop engine, but Spark
does not build on MapReduce, if that's what you mean.

The "classic" Mahout code (<= 0.9) is definitely deprecated. The "new"
Mahout is not. It has a fairly different new recommender system called
Samsara. It has Scala APIs. In fact, it uses Spark. I think you're
somehow talking about the "classic" Mahout code here only.