mahout-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: adjusted cosine similarity for item-based recommender?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2015 16:05:13 GMT
I’d add that overview and references are here: http://mahout.apache.org/users/algorithms/recommender-overview.html

There are many benefits to this architecture including being able to make recs to anonymous
users (as long as you have a little history for them) no need to retrain the recommender.
The server is a fast scalable search engine and so the multimodal part is accessed by changing
the query, which also means you can use context in realtime. Like what category you want recs
to favor or be filtered by.

In a cooccurrence recommender ratings are ignored. You want to gather history of some user
action that is as close to the intended action you want to recommend. For ecom that’s probably
purchase, for movies it might be a full movie view. The quality of this action is important.

For an example movie recommender check the demo app, which uses most of the techniques mentioned
in the references; https://guide.finderbots.com