mahout-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: FPGrowth and Recommendations
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 01:14:09 GMT
Jeff, are you trying to build a general recommender? Or a shopping cart recommender? FP was
used to find things often bought together, which means recommendations based on some partial
group of items (watchlist, wishlist, shopping cart). FPG has been deprecated in favor of newer
methods.

There are references at the top of this page http://mahout.apache.org/users/recommender/intro-cooccurrence-spark.html
that may help for a general recommender but things bought together would require a slightly
different approach.

Think of the shopping-cart-id as if it were a user-id. Create a cooccurrence matrix using
spark-itemsimilarity as described in the above references. The shopping cart ids will disappear
leaving an item-id followed by a list of similar items. Index this in a search engine and
use the current partial shopping cart as the query. You’ll get back an ordered list of the
items most commonly bought with items in the current shopping cart.