mahout-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: api and documentation
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2014 16:50:57 GMT
You may not need the API since several methods are supported from the command line. But once
you choose a recommender we can point you to the right place. What does your data look like?

From another thread ========================

Mahout has several recommenders so no need to create one from components. They all make use
of the similarity of preferences between users—otherwise known as collaborative filtering.

Primary Mahout Recommenders:
1) Hadoop mapreduce item-based cooccurrence recommender. Creates all recs for all users. Uses
“Mahout IDs"
2) ALS-WR hadoop mapreduce, uses matrix factorization to reduce noise in the data. Sometimes
better for small data sets than #1. Uses “Mahout IDs"
3) Mahout + search engine: cooccurrence type. Extremely flexible, works with multiple actions
(multi-modal), works for new users that have some history, has a scalable server (from the
search engine) but is more difficult to integrate than #1 or #2. Uses your own ids and reads
csv files.

Pick a recommender we can go from there.