mahout-user mailing list archives

From Mario Levitin <mariolevi...@gmail.com>
Subject Understanding LogLikelihood Similarity
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:30:41 GMT
Hi,

I've used LogLikelihood Similarity in user based nearest neighborhood
collaborative filtering and it has given good results (better than the
others).

I have read the blog post by Ted Dunning (
http://tdunning.blogspot.com.tr/2008/03/surprise-and-coincidence.html) also
looked at the implementation in Mahout. However, I still do not understand
"why" this similarity metric works.

I'm trying to give it a probabilistic interpretation in order to understand
the logic behind. Any probabilistic interpretation should define random
variables, events, etc. However, my attempts in this respect have been
unsuccessful.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks