mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout on Spark?
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2014 01:01:46 GMT
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Nick Pentreath <nick.pentreath@gmail.com>wrote:

> My (admittedly heavily biased) view is Spark is a superior platform overall
> for ML. If the two communities can work together to leverage the strengths
> of Spark, and the large amount of good stuff in Mahout (as well as the
> fantastic depth of experience of Mahout devs) I think a lot can be
> achieved!

It makes a lot of sense that Spark would be better than Hadoop for ML
purposes given that Hadoop was intended to do web-crawl kinds of things and
Spark was intentionally built to support machine learning.

Given that Spark has been announced by a majority of the Hadoop-based
distribution vendors, it makes sense that maybe Mahout should jump in.

I really would prefer it if the two communities (MLib/MLI and Mahout) could
work more closely together.  There is a lot of good to be had on both sides.