mahout-user mailing list archives

From Tim Smith <timsmit...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Item recommendation w/o users or preferences
Date Sat, 11 Jan 2014 21:38:28 GMT
> Is it about how to arrange your data to use this computation?  The
> references below might help with that.

Yes, I read and tried the recommendation examples from MIA and there is a mention of item
to item similarity, but I am not sure what form the file should take.  The examples are along
the lines of  userid,itemid,value

In section 6.2 of MIA we are multiplying the Co-occur matrix X User
preferences = Recommendations (top of page 97), so if I do not have preferences should
 I just default them all to the same value?  Taken together with your previous comments, is
this how I should be preparing my data?

Raw Sample Data (format: Transaction|Item)
123|Sun Glasses
124|Sun Glasses
124|Sun Glass Case
125|Sun Glass Case
126|Sun Glasses
126|Glass Repair Kit
127|Glass Repair Kit

Are you suggesting that I just simply use (format:  userid|item|value)
123|Sun Glasses|1
124|Sun Glasses|1
124|Sun Glass Case|1
125|Sun Glass Case|1
126|Sun Glasses|1
126|Glass Repair Kit|1
127|Glass Repair Kit|1

> Is it regarding the specifics of how you do the computation?  I can help
> with that, but would need a pointer to the difficulty.

Not quite yet.  I am working through the intuition first, I'll fight through the math once,
if ever, the fog clears