mahout-user mailing list archives

From robpd <RobPodol...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Why is Mean-Shift Clustering Deprecated?
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 21:44:40 GMT
Hi

Using mahout-0.8 right now and noticed that mean-shift clustering is
deprecated.  Only thing I could find on it is at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT-1250.  This seems to say that
it is not being used much - right? Any other reasons it's deprecated (e.g.
reliability)?

Main question is what could replace this useful technique in which one does
not have to know a priori the number of clusters to form?  I guess, after
mean-shift clustering is finally removed from the codebase it will be
possible to achieve the same effect using, first, canopy-clustering to
discover the number of clusters then a KMeans thereafter. Correct?

thks.

Rob