mahout-user mailing list archives

From Brian Arnold <barnold4...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Item Based Collaborative Filtering Properties Question
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:36:05 GMT
Hey Sebastian,

Thanks for all the information, that was very helpful. One question, when
you said "as large as the maximum number of interactions per user or
larger" for the macPrefsPerUser property does that refer if the algorithm
was comparing your items and my items it would be looking at how many of
all of our items we have in common? So if we both have 500 items total, 100
of which are in common in both sets, would the maxPrefsPerUser property cap
how many items it looks at of that 100 in common?  You said this should be
set to a very high number, however, in the code it appears this value is
defaulted to 10.  What do you consider very high; 100, 1,000, 10,000?   We
are currently using 0.7 because that is what came with our version of HDP.
 Should we upgrade to trunk of 0.8? Would we gain any performance
improvements or algorithm improvements?

Thanks so much!
Brian