mahout-user mailing list archives

From Rafal Lukawiecki <ra...@projectbotticelli.com>
Subject Re: RecommenderJob Recommending an Item Already Preferred by a User
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 15:56:26 GMT
Hi Sebastian,

I've rechecked the results, and, I'm afraid that the issue has not gone away, contrary to
my yesterday's enthusiastic response. Using 0.8 I have retested with and without --maxPrefsPerUser
9000 parameter (no user has more than 5000 prefs). I have also supplied the prefs file, without
the preference value, that is as: user,item (one per line) as a --filterFile, with and without
the -maxPrefsPerUser, and I am afraid we are also seeing recommendations for items the user
has expressed a prior preference for.

I suppose I need to file a bug report.

Rafal
--
Rafal Lukawiecki
Pardon my brevity, sent from a telephone.

On 31 Jul 2013, at 22:35, "Rafal Lukawiecki" <rafal@projectbotticelli.com> wrote:

> Dear Sebastian,
>
> It looks like setting --maxPrefsPerUser 10000 have resolved the issue in our case—it
seems that the most preferences a user had was just about 5000, so I doubled it just-in-case,
but when I operationalise this model, I will make sure to calculate the actual max number
of preferences and set the parameter accordingly. I will double-check the resultset to make
sure the issue is really gone, as I have only checked the few cases where we have spotted
a recommendation of a previously preferred item.

> Would you like me to file a bug, and would you like me to test it on 0.8 or another version?
I am using 0.7.

> Thanks for your kind support.
> Rafal
> --
> Rafal Lukawiecki
> Strategic Consultant and Director
> Project Botticelli Ltd
>
> On 31 Jul 2013, at 06:22, Sebastian Schelter <ssc.open@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Rafal,
>
> can you try to set the option --maxPrefsPerUser to the maximum number of
> interactions per user and see if you still get the error?
>
> Best,
> Sebastian
>
> On 30.07.2013 19:29, Rafal Lukawiecki wrote:
>> Thank you Sebastian. The data set is not that large, as we are running tests on a
subset. It is about 24k users, 40k items, the preference file has 65k preferences as triples.
This was using Similarity Cooccurrence.