mahout-user mailing list archives

From Dominik Hübner <cont...@dhuebner.com>
Subject Re: Blending initial recommendations for cross recommendation
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2013 19:19:52 GMT
Thanks for those detailed responses!
So I assume that the problem of scaling the initial recommendations can be implicitly solved
by learning the weights for the linear combination. The log rank Ted mentioned seems to be
useful as well!

What metric do you use to evaluate your recommendations? I currently setup a cooccurrence
matrix to predict based on purchases only, a Purchase X View matrix and a view only matrix.
I am trying to recommend products leading people to purchases. So I somehow need to find a
way, to distinct between types recommendations and prefer "purchase" recommendations. Is there
any common approach to evaluate recommendations in such settings? Maybe I just didn't get
what you meant with: "In my case I weight the entire row vector, add the two, resort, and
calculate precision @ some number of recs."
Using a percentile rank as shown in the paper for implicit ALS might be useful here. The problem
nevertheless is, that most users only have a single purchase.

Furthermore, do you really perform gradient descent learning of the weights using hadoop/mahout?
Isn't this too costly to perform due to the overheads of the JVM and hadoop?

On Jun 1, 2013, at 1:21 AM, Pat Ferrel <pat.ferrel@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a cross-recommender too. It was originally conceived to do a multi-action ensemble
from Ted's notes. I'm now gathering a new data set and building the meta-model learner.

> Even with the same scale you need to learn the weighting factors. Consider a simple ensemble
case:

> R_p is the matrix of all recommendations from an item-base recommender using history
for any single action (purchase?)
> S_p is the matrix of all similar items for a given item as measured by user actions (purchases?)
>
> It is highly likely that you can improve your ranking (also agree ratings are seldom
useful) by incorporating both sets of data. So R = R_p + aS_p This is the linear combo Ted
mentions. But what is "a"? The scale of the strengths here are very similar but their importance
is not. In my case I found that S_p was far more predictive of a future purchase than R_p
but without R_p every user sees the same recommendations for a given item. So some combo of
the two may prove far stronger in practice than either alone. The combo certainly has produced
a better precision score.

> Once you learn "a" things are much simpler but to learn it you need an objective function
like improving precision. Then you must find what weighting "a" gives the highest precision.
This requires virtually the entire of R_p and S_p. Since you don't know "a" you don't know
how much of the sorted R or S you need to combine. Using the Solr idea you would combine as
many results as you can get from the queries trying different weightings and measuring precision
each time. In my case I weight the entire row vector, add the two, resort, and calculate precision
@ some number of recs.

> Implementing a simple form of gradient ascent seems like a good approach because the
full ensemble is going to have more than just "a" and therefore need help converging across
multiple dimensions.

> The version of the cross-recommender I have considers item similarities as well as user
history based recommendations we have an ensemble something like:

> R_p + aS_p + bR_v + cS_v = R
> here R_v and S_v are from the cooccurrences of views with purchases, not just views.

> Ted's idea below about using the rank or log rank instead of whatever the similarity
metric returns as the "strength" seems like a really good one. It evens out the scales and
so may converge quicker if nothing else. Pretty easy to implement too.