mahout-user mailing list archives

From Gabor Bernat <ber...@primeranks.net>
Subject Parallel GenericRecommenderIRStatsEvaluator?
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:26:34 GMT
Hello,

Is there any good reason why the *GenericRecommenderIRStatsEvaluator* does
not support parallel (multi-CPU) evaluation. Today is quite common to have
CPUs with more than one core, and IR evaluation on any reasonably sized
data set takes forever to finish. I'm thinking if we could parallelize the
evaluation, by breaking down the input into subsets, and accumulating at
the end the measurements of each subset, the evaluation time could be
heavily improved.

For example I have a data set with 2+ million ratings, and evaluating IR
with even 10% of this with a simple recommender takes more than 3 hours
with just a single core of my CPU being kept busy...

So?

Bernát GÁBOR