mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cross recommendation
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2013 06:06:38 GMT
No.

It is uniformly better to have (item+action, user).  In fact, I would
prefer to have it the other way around when describing it to match the
matrix row x column convention.

(user, item+action) where action is binary leads to A = [A_1 | A_2] = user
by 2xitem.  The alternative of (user+action, item) leads to

    [ A_1 ]
A = [     ] = 2xuser by item
    [ A_2 ]

This last form doesn't have a uniform set of users to connect the items
together.  When you compute the cooccurrence matrix you get A_1' A_1 + A_2'
A_2 which gives you recommendations from 1=>1 and from 2=>2, but no
recommendations 1=>2 or 2=>1.  Thus, no cross recommendations.