mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Seminal Random Forests speaker - FYI
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 06:28:43 GMT
The problem with "using Hindi pronunciation" is 3-fold.

a) it is hard to get consistent answers about the Hindi pronunciation.
 This seems to be partly vexed by the assumption on the part of some of the
people that I have asked that I want to know the way that native English
speakers mis-pronounce the word.

b) when I do get plausible answers about Hindi pronunciation, the dipthongs
involved are very difficult for speakers of European languages who do not
speak Indic languages.  I usually do well at imitating difficult sounds,
but I confess that it is difficult to avoid making Hindi speakers laugh
when I try this word.

c) elephants are mostly found in southern India where Hindi isn't even the
dominant language.

In the end, I tend to say that anybody who contributes to the project can
say it any way that they want.

But I do like to point out the pun on a Hebrew word that is available if
you use the fruit-rhyming alternative.  See the wiki page that Dawid refers
to for more info.