mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implicit preferences
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2013 16:55:42 GMT
I think you'd have to hack the code to not exclude previously-seen items,
or at least, not of the type you wish to consider. Yes you would also have
to hack it to add rather than replace existing values. Or for test
purposes, just do the adding yourself before inputting the data.

My hunch is that it will hurt non-trivially to treat different interaction
types as different items. You probably want to predict that someone who
viewed a product over and over is likely to buy it, but this would only
weakly tend to occur if the bought-item is not the same thing as the
viewed-item. You'd learn they go together but not as strongly as ought to
be obvious from the fact that they're the same. Still, interesting thought.

There ought to be some 'signal' in this data, just a question of how much
vs noise. A purchase means much more than a page view of course; it's not
as subject to noise. Finding a means to use that info is probably going to
help.