mahout-user mailing list archives

From Manuel Blechschmidt <Manuel.Blechschm...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: time based price predictions
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2012 09:39:59 GMT
Hi Matt,
you can model the problem for price prediction as a time series problem. Currently Mahout
has no direct support yet for time series like e.g. R http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-patched/library/stats/html/ts.html

Like Ted already said you have a kind of regression problem. Currently there are not a lot
of people doing directly regression with mahout. Most of the classification implementation
are also suitable for regression. Nevertheless if you do not have a Ph.D. in statistics it
will be tough to transfer the classification algorithms to regression algorithms. I would
currently say that a good start for you are ARIMA models:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoregressive_integrated_moving_average

As far as I know there is no ARIMA implementation in Mahout.

If you want to include events e.g. modeling the price drop of a certain product when the successor
is introduced it becomes tricky. You can check out project Black Swan http://www.blackswanevents.org/
They try to correlate events like changing governments with e.g. tax increase.

Here is also an answer from me directly for time series analysis:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/mahout-user/201112.mbox/%3C93573C87-ACB4-4351-ABE8-EB141AE592F2@gmx.de%3E

To sum it up: There is currently no good support for time series analysis in Mahout. Get you
hands dirty and implement it or use R.

Hope that helps
    Manuel

--