mahout-user mailing list archives

From Evgeny Karataev <karataev.evg...@gmail.com>
Subject Recommender's formula
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:10:44 GMT
Hello,

I've read Mahout in Action book; then  this paper - "Case Study Evaluation
of Mahout as a Recommender Platform" (
http://ir.ii.uam.es/rue2012/papers/rue2012-seminario.pdf);  and then this
Sean Owen's comment (
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/mahout-user/201210.mbox/%3CCAEccTyzRzhRzUi9FGCPhPqa01bei=wYCtX2kewOcpfvU37PPGw@mail.gmail.com%3E)
and now I am confused what formula is used for user-based (and
item-based) recommendations. What paper is it based on?

Does it use mean centering as in the formula in Resnick's paper (
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=192905) or formula 4.15 in "A
Comprehensive Survey of Neighborhood-based Recommendation Methods" (
http://www.springerlink.com/content/n3jq77686228781n/)? Or authors of "Case
Study Evaluation of Mahout as a Recommender Platform" are right and it
computed recommendation somehow similar to formula 4.12 in "A Comprehensive
Survey of Neighborhood-based Recommendation Methods"?

Following the algorithm in the Mahout in Action book, does not seem like i
uses mean centering. However, in the section about Cosine similarity,
authors states that the input it mean centered.

Thank you.

--
Best Regards,
Evgeny Karataev