mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ahmet Ylmaz <ahmetyilmazefe...@yahoo.com>
Subject Recommendations for new users
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:22:52 GMT
Hi,
We are planning to use Mahout for our movie recommender system. And we are planning to use
SVD for model building.

When a new user comes we will require him/her to rate a certain number of movies (say 10).

In order to recommend movies to this new user we have to rebuild the entire model. But this
not appealing in terms of computational load.

I'm looking for better solutions.

For FunkSVD, one solution seems to be retraining the model *only* on the new user, in order
to learn the factors associated with him.
Since there are not many ratings associated with the new user you can learn the new user's
factors in a quite negligible time.

Actually this solution seems not to be difficult to implement. So, I wonder why this is not
implemented in Mahout given that in commercial settings it is very important to be able to
immediately recommend items to users after they give some ratings.

Thank you
Ahmet