mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Schelter <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Combiner applied on multiple map task outputs (like in Mahout SVD)
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:47:14 GMT
If I understand the discussion correctly, there is some confusion here.

A map task is not the same as a single invocation of the function to map.

A map task consumes a split and invokes the function to map for each
key-value pair contained in the split. The function to combine is
applied (usually several times, in some implementation specific way) to
the output of all the invocations of that map task.

--sebastian