mahout-user mailing list archives

From Elaine Gan <elaine-...@gmo.jp>
Subject Re: Is mahout kmeans slow ?
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 05:37:23 GMT
My -cd was quite loose, set it at 0.1

Hmm.. maybe the data is too small, causing the low performance..?

> 200 iterations?
>
> What is your convergence delta? If it is too small for your distance measure you will
perform all 200 iterations, every time you cluster.

>   --convergenceDelta (-cd) convergenceDelta
>           The convergence delta value.
>            Default is 0.5
>
> I would set the convergence delta looser and see if 100 or even 20 iterations produces
good results. You can always tweak your other parameters to get them tuned and up your convergence
if needed. Also remember that a good convergence is related to your distance measure so you
need to think about which distance measure works for your data.

> I generally only take 10-20 iterations using cosine distance and 0.001 as the convergence
delta, which would be 20-40 minutes for you.