mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Approaches for combining multiple types of item data for user-user similarity
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2012 07:42:16 GMT
The best default answer is to put them all in one model. The math
doesn't care what the things are. Unless you have a strong reason to
weight one data set I wouldn't. If you do, then two models is best. It
is hard to weight a subset of the data within most similarity
functions. I don't think it would in Pearson for instance but could
work in Tanimoto.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Ken Krugler <kkrugler_lists@transpac.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm curious what approaches are recommended for generating user-user similarity, when
I've got two (or more) distinct types of item data, both of which are fairly large.

> E.g. let's say I had a set of users where I knew both (a) what books they had bought
on Amazon, and (b) what YouTube videos they had watched.

> For each user, I want to find the 10 most similar other users.
>
>  - I could create two separate models, find the nearest 30 users for each user, and combine
(maybe with weighting) the results.
>  - I could toss all of the data into one model - and I could use a value of < 1.0
for whichever type of preference is less important.