mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Schelter <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SVM in Mahout
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 13:19:32 GMT
I'm just asking because I review a paper where Mahout's SVM support on
M/R is mentioned :)

As far as I recall All-Reduce is map + an aggregation tree that feeds
back the result?

Giraph supports aggregators where every worker instance preaggregates
the data, the master computes the final aggregation and feeds it back to
the workers. So you could have a 1-level aggregation tree out of the box.

Best,
Sebastian

On 20.06.2012 15:07, Ted Dunning wrote:
> No.
>
> But L1 regularization for hinge loss should give essentially identical results. We currently
support logit loss but this is pluggable.  This is in the sgd framework which currently lacks
a map reduce implementation.

> Speaking of that, does anybody offhand know whether giraph supports an allreduce primitive.
That is the primary thing missing to get parallel sgd.