mahout-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Quach <danqu...@cs.ucla.edu>
Subject Re: how to implement item-based recommender on movie genre data?
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 06:29:53 GMT
Well, actually, I wanted to represent each movie with a vector

[1, 0, 0, 1, 0]

Where each column represents an explicit genre, a 1 indicating that the movie has that genre
while a 0 indicates it is not (a crude representation, I'm sure)

I wanted to implement an item based recommender that uses these vectors to compute similarity
between items.

I think I figured it out, I could represent vector data as preferences where instead of user
ID's, it would be column indices. Then load that into a DataModel for use with the ItemSimilarity
object. The ItemBasedRecommender could load the DataModel with userID's while using this ItemSimilarity
object for calculating similarities.

This could possibly be a poor choice from an efficiency, accuracy, and machine learning standpoint,
I am not an expert on the subject at all.