mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Schelter <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About Random walk with restart
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 08:02:15 GMT
Giraph is an implementation of Google's Pregel system and only applies
some tricks to use Hadoop as infrastructure.

You should have a look at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-191 coincidentally more
people are interested in RWR!

--sebastian

On 19.05.2012 09:40, Huanchen Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you. I will look into it.
>
> Here I am a little confused: isn't Giraph also based on Hadoop? If so, how Giraph solved
the 'Hadoop lacks efficient execution of iterative algorithms' problem ?

> I'm new to Hadoop ..
>
> Thank you !
>
> Best,
> Huanchen
>

> On May 17, 2012, at 7:11 AM, Sebastian Schelter wrote:
>
>> It is usable but it is unfortunately very slow because Hadoop lacks
>> efficient execution of iterative algorithms.
>>
>> Implementing RWR in Giraph is really simple, I can help you with that.
>> Am 17.05.2012 15:57 schrieb "huanchen" <iamzhanghc@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is the RWR implementation in mahout 0.6 usable ?
>>>
>>> Or what problem it has?
>>>
>>> If this implementation is usable, I will avoid reimplement it...
>>>
>>> Thank you !
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Huanchen
>>>

>>> 2012-05-17