mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ahmed Abdeen Hamed <ahmed.elma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Injecting content into item-item CF
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:28:55 GMT
Hi Sean,

I did some reading before writing so I can ask more specific questions. The
MiA book has a couple of sections that cover content-based. The move
attributes examples make sense. However, it appears to me that the
similarity can not be computed offline. This is because the similarity is
depended on a user query that will be entered in real time. For instance,
assume that we have two different movies in our database we would like to
recommend, among other movies along with the genre:

The Matrix, Action Adventure
The Matrix of Power, Documentary
Matrix Method, Sports and Fitness
The Matrix Reloaded, Action Adventure

Now if the user query was "matrix sports" the similarity will be higher for
Matrix Method movie than the Matrix Reloaded. But these similarities will
only be available after the user enters the query.

My question now is: is there a way to compute these similarities offline?

Thanks very much,

-Ahmed