mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Significant - serendipity in recommending
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2012 19:20:11 GMT
Au contraire, you can do exactly this with an IDRescorer. Divide by (the
log of) and item's occurrences for example to penalize popular items.

I don't recommend this. Stuff like the log-likelihood metric is already in
a sense accounting for things that are just generally popular and
normalizing that away.