mahout-user mailing list archives

From Lee Carroll <lee.a.carr...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Add on to itemsimilarity
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:15:14 GMT
> I would argue, though, that .recommend() is aimed at the latter task:

No . I think the mismatch here is you are using at best a wild guess
at a preference for the convenience of using a recommender and then in
the same breath expecting the recommender to "understand" that you are
not using preferences at all and actually have no idea what the user
preference is. You cant have it both ways :-)

A click through on an item is not a measure of user preference for
that item. I know its not what you want to hear (or better what your
business users want to here) but there it is.

We can pretend, or maybe even build a convincing narrative that a
click is some sort of item association and use that as a proxy
preference and we might even get some mileage out of it, but we should
not change the behaviour of the .recommend() to hide its short
comings.