mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Purchase prediction
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 07:55:07 GMT
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Nishant Chandra
<nishant.chandra@gmail.com>wrote:

> As for my use case and as Manuel pointed out is this:
>
> a. Given a set of page views happening in real time, will the visitor
> view another page on the site or will the visitor leave or is he
> comparing prices or just researching? The intention is what I want to
> capture. Building the model offline sounds like the right approach.

To solve a), is HMM the right approach?

It is a plausible approach.  But not the only one.  It is attractive in
that it tries to model intent.

You might also look at something like a latent log-linear model.  That
would allow you to model per user bias in intent.

> b. Given a set of page views, which product brand will the visitor
> view in the remainder of the session? This is an addon and I would
> like to explore it.

This is a reasonable task for recommendation engines.