mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clustering user profiles
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:49:28 GMT
I usually prefer to represent location as an xyz triple on a unit sphere.
 That allows Euclidean distance to be useful.

On the 1 of n encoded values. Euclidean works as well.  For gender, it also
works fine.

The only issue is how to combine these with reasonable weightings.  An easy
way to do this is to have a weighted Euclidean distance which looks like

    distance(A, B) = sqrt {\sum_i w_i (a_i - b_i)^2}

Figuring out the weights is a bit tricky, but not horrendously hard.