mahout-user mailing list archives

From Anatoliy Kats <a.k...@rambler-co.ru>
Subject Re: Add on to itemsimilarity
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:28:25 GMT
I have not seen this discussion from the beginning, but I think the
troubles I'm having are similar in nature.  We are recommending items
the user can buy on our website.  Our preferences are past purchases,
and also past clicks on the item's description.  If a purchase was made,
certainly we do not want to recommend the item again, but if it was only
a click, we are even more confident that we should be recommending that
item.  Yet the recommenders are hardcoded not to.  I managed to get
around this by changing the recommender's CandidateItemSimilarity.

I also need to estimatePreference() of the items the user clicked on, or
at least I think I do.  The unclicked items have an estimated preference
of around 0.3, whereas the click is treated as a rating of 1.
Intuitively that seems unfair, I'd essentially only be recommending
items the user clicked on.  I have my own recommender class which uses
Generic...Recommender() as a delegate.  So, I can override the
estimatePreference() to return something else, but this concerns me for
two reasons.  First, this is not estimatePreference()'s intended usage,
so I'm afraid of breaking something.  Second, many recommenders have a
private doEstimatePreference() method that I'd love to call for
already-rated items, but since it is a private method of my delegate, I
cannot.  That makes me sad.

I hope this helps some of you, and I would appreciate some feedback on
whether what I'm doing is even a good idea, and how to go about it.

Thanks,

Anatoliy