mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jinyuan Zhou <zhou.jiny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is is easy to switch from standalone to hadoop cluster for mahout recommender?
Date Mon, 26 Dec 2011 05:49:31 GMT
Merry Chrisams Sean,
Thanks for such fast response on this day.
I think I misunderstood the following description on mahout's home page.
For the "level of integration" I mentioned,  Here is what I am looking
for.  I don't need to know Hadoop when I build recommender via mahout API.
But when I run the recommender, I can ask mahout to run it via a Hadoop
Cluster. But as you said hadoop based and non hadoop based recommeder are
different. My question does not make any sense now.

I am tring to bring Mahout to my working place and I am actually reading
your book Mahout in Action. I think the support  for different kind of User
similarities as well as support for evaluating a recommender  will  really
save us a lot of time.  I  understand that  for a item based recommeder,
one can do pre-computation for ,  say, co-occurance matix through Hadoop.
I am still looking for a way to build a hadoop based recommender without
writing mappers or reducers.  I mean I want to be able to write code
almost as simple as the  following:

 DataModel model = new FileDataModel(new File("myrating.csv"));

    UserSimilarity similarity = new PearsonCorrelationSimilarity(model);
    UserNeighborhood neighborhood =
      new NearestNUserNeighborhood(2, similarity, model);

    Recommender recommender = new GenericUserBasedRecommender(
        model, neighborhood, similarity);

I do believe that writing  customized  hadoop based components will most
likely  be necessary even if  what I expected above does exists.

Your time is  greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack