mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SVD in Mahout (was: Mahout Lanczos SVD complexity)
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:58:05 GMT
The users of SVD on Mahout are more interested in their own application
level metrics than the metrics associated with the decomposition itself.
 Moreover, at the scale people have been working with, getting any
decomposition at all is refreshing.

The examples that you gave in your thread involved walking *way* down the
spectrum to the smaller singular values.  That is absolutely not the
interest with most Mahout users because that would involve fairly massive
over-fitting.