mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updates a classifier model on the fly
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:08:00 GMT
With the online classifiers, it is quite possible.  With the NB it is
possible in theory, I am unsure about whether it is possible in practice.

It is generally not a great idea to do this for the simple reason that you
typically want to emphasize recent history and eliminate ancient history.
 Controlling this to the degree you probably would like is definitely
easier if you simply retrain your model from scratch.

Moreover, the cost of retraining is typically not that high.