mahout-user mailing list archives

From "Donald A. Smith" <thinkerfee...@yahoo.com>
Subject Will "mahout arff.vector" correctly convert string attributes?
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2011 17:37:52 GMT
Weka's ARFF format allows string attrbutes.

  @ATTRIBUTE userName string

Will "mahout arff.vector" correctly handle conversion from such strings to vectors in such
a way that the attribute will, effectively, be treated the same as a nominal attribute? That
is, will the set of strings be converted into a set of nominal attributes (one for each possible
string value)?

  @ATTRIBUTE userName {bob, fred, harry, jill, betsy, george, bill}

In general, will I lose any information by using arff.vector?

For date attributes, will mahout insert derived attributes (hour of day, day of week)? I presume
not and I presume I have to add them myself.

 Thanks, Don